Written by Green Pioneers Student Interns and Apprentices

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A New School Year Starts For Green Pioneers!

My names is Joanna Styx and I am the student assistant to our new Program Coordinator, Grace Proctor.  I help lead the meetings every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. It's a new experience for me because I was once a intern and being an intern doesn't have as much responsibility! During this past week we have had a lot of new interns come and join! Its great meeting new people and seeing how everyone works together! The garden is slowly growing and becoming better and better as the time passes! Being a student assistant consists of a lot of responsibilities and a lot of patience.


I am Isabel Gonzalez, my experience with being a Green Pioneers intern is pretty nice since I got a heap of new experience like how to make seedling starters and how to take care of chickens! This year my project is taking care of the plants on the perimeter of the garden. For example I get to train the crawling plants to crawl up our fences. I'm doing this since we don't want the fence to look lonely, so the more lively and the more it is filled with flowers, the nicer it would look! The garden helps me build my courage since honestly, I'm way too shy. So, not only is the garden a good thing for the community but it will also help me improve myself. Last year the garden wasn't so lively as it is today and that makes me happy knowing all our hard work is getting noticed and is encouraging more of my peers to help out.


This year our goals are: to work more, improve the garden, grow more plants and have more productive workers around. The more work we do, the more it'll be noticed and we'll feel more appreciated. When the garden is improved it'll look so beautiful and when we come it'll become an even better comfort zone for everyone. To accomplish all of this we do need more hard workers like the ones we have today! Our garden is very green, when you walk in you see so many plants! We have corn, nopales, strawberries, basil, lemon verbena, pumpkins, corn, squash, watermelons, lavender, peppermint, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, sunflowers, apple trees, peach trees, plum trees and lemon trees! Now isn't that a lot? Because I think it is AND we're planning on adding more!

No comments:

Post a Comment