Written by Green Pioneers Student Interns and Apprentices

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Reflections on the First Farmer's Market

My name is Melinda Monterroso and I am a 12th grader at Leadership Public School. I have worked at the Castlemont Community Garden and with Green Pioneers since I was in the 10th grade.

On Wednesday, October 12, 2011, I was a part of the first Farmer's Market on the Castlemont Campus. I am amazed by how far our garden has come. The garden started lifeless and the Green Pioneers revived it in only two years. 

We also have a cooking club part of Green Pioneers that teaches youth how to cook and eat healthy with the vegetables, fruit, and herbs we grow.

The Farmer's Market is a great event because it gives youth working experience and it gets healthy affordable food to the community that is surrounded by junk food on every corner. It was fun for me because we had friends and music to keep us working. 

The first Farmer's Market was very successful because a lot of the community showed up to buy our fresh produce. I helped by measuring  and calculating the prices of the produce on a scale using pounds. We all worked together, so it made the stressful parts easier and fun. We also went around the campus to sell more produce to teachers and students before we called it a day. I am surprised and pleased by our success with our first Farmers Market and I am looking forward to continuing with many more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment