Written by Green Pioneers Student Interns and Apprentices

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Summer Update

Working as Summer Green Pioneer Interns
by Isabel and Maria Gonzalez

“I’m proud. Our hard work is paying off”-Maria Gonzalez

“I have been setting up the irrigation system. This is better than a normal summer job because I can do whatever I want when I am done with working on my particular job—like start another project, like working on our ecosystem pond or weeding around the plants. Working outside is better than staying inside. There is fresh air and this place feels like home—I’m used to this place.”
–Alexis Valladares 

What have we been doing?
Watering plants, feeding chickens, pruning, weeding and making sure our garden stays in good shape since it represents us. We always make sure someone comes at least once a day to do the main duties.

Who has been doing it?
The summer job Interns are the ones that are working right now which include Maria Gonzalez, Alexis Valladares, Joanna Syx, Omar Mateo, Jasmin Carrillo, Cesilia Juarez and Manuel Perez. We also have volunteers that show up every now and then.

Why are we here?
It’s fun being in the outdoors and being active. “It’s good for the community and environment,” is what Alexis said. “PEACEFUL and shady and breezy,” is what Grace stated and its true if I say so myself.

How does it make you feel?
“Makes me feel happy and great. Like I’m actually doing something to help the environment and community instead of being out in the streets.  I get to interact with other people I normally wouldn’t talk to.” – Maria Gonzalez & Alexis Valladares

Future Plans?
Well to start, we’re planning on beautifying the garden more so we can attract more butterflies, bees, and more living organisms. We might tear down the fence, get rid of the cement with possibly a jackhammer, and expand the garden with more beds or more flowers. We may possibly make a waterslide to attract more people too! 

We will accomplish these goals!
 
Isabel and Maria weeding in a Castlemont Community Garden Bed.




No comments:

Post a Comment